Sunday, June 26, 2005

Mangoes ... mangoes ... mangoes

Yeah, that's our most plentiful farm produce at the moment: Mangoes ... (or Mangos)

Robbie brings in at least 20 every day (besides the two eggs, which are laid daily, but must be pulled out from under the turkey BOY, who is trying to sit on them. He is, by the way, also sitting on a couple of turkey eggs plus some duck eggs, which we just pushed underneath him) and now I need to try to figure out what to do with them. They are rather small, maybe as big as a goose egg, but extremely juicy and tasty. It is just such a sensual delicious food, especially when you eat it the Belizean way: you hang over the sink ("SpĆ¼lbecken") and just bite into it, and soon the lower half of your face is covered with Mango flesh and juice, dribbling down your chin. Of course, I tried it the pretty way, too, peeled the skin off, cut the flesh into pieces, ate those pieces with a fork or a spoon. But let me tell you: it's just half the fun:-) I found a great Mango recipe site on the Internet and I think I'll try the simple Mango jam or maybe some Mango chutney and what I really liked: Frozen Mango Yoghurt or how about this one: Mango a la Devo:

Category Desserts
Name Of Recipe MANGOS A LA DEVO
Servings 4
Ingredients

3 medium ripe mangos

1 cup brown sugar

1 cup water

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. vanilla extract
Directions Bring water, sugar and flavorings to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add peeled and sliced mangos. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Cool. Serve plain, with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

Sounds good, doesn't it? I will need to work on those mangoes in the kitchen soon - one can't keep them for a long time. And they are all fresh and ... Ready to Go ... First I will get myself some for the "sink experience" though :-) I really want to make the best of this season, it is always over way too soon. In January, when all the jars with jam and chutney are usually gone, we all can't wait until the next Mango season arrives!

Robbie is at a general village meeting this afternoon, she is taking our neighbour Emilia in the car because she still has problems with her foot. And then she is going to bring her over and we will watch a movie together with her. And eat Emilia's chocolate cake which she gave us yesterday. Wonderful stuff!

OH, one other ripe farm produce we have at the moment: Avocados! But the tree is so young and the avocados are so tiny that they are almost not worth mentioning. They are as big as a thumb. When they first started to fall into my truck bed (the tree is right next to it) I was wondering what it was ...

I think I go have a mango now:-)

1 Comments:

At Thursday, June 30, 2005 9:31:00 PM , Blogger Susanne said...

Chop those mangos up with some Cilantro and chilies. Great salsa.

What's with the feet? Robbie keeps luggin friends with foot problems to the doctor!

Glad you are doing well.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home