Wednesday, June 22, 2005

No cement, nice visitors and last Rotary Board Meeting

No, of course the cement wasn't delivered today either. Robbie went to the shop to ask for it and they said "tomorrow". Well, we'll see :-) After all, we are in Belize, and time sure has a different quality here ...

Besides masses of work and a blaring headache ("brüllende Kopfschmerzen"), there were also some nice events today. We had some visitors: Sharane came over with Marion, the elderly lady we met last week for lunch. She brought about 40 paperbacks ("Taschenbücher") for us to read, mostly thrillers and crime novels. First she said to pick some, but then she left them all here. We just have to give them back when we are finished. As reading is our favorite pastime ("Zeitvertreib"), it won't take us so long. Although, Robbie likes other reading material more: bird and other nature books, Fantasy and Science Fiction, from great authors like Marion Zimmer Bradley (The Mists of Avalon/Die Nebel von Avalon) or Robert Jordan. I like it, too, but if I have a choice, I would rather pick a good courtroom ("Gerichtsaal") story. Marion and Sharane didn't stay long, but Marion also wanted to see Robbie's great music collection and we listened to some CD's. They will surely be back soon for a longer visit and a chat.

At night, I went to my last Board Meeting ("Vorstandssitzung") for this Rotary year (a Rotary year starts July 1 and ends June 30) as a secretary. It was an interesting job for the last 2 years, but also lots of extra work and some responsibilities, which I will gladly hand over to my successor ("Nachfolger"), Chris Aird, the principal ("Schuldirektor") of one of the local colleges on Friday, when we have the official Handing Over Ceremony at the San Ignacio Hotel. Although I sometimes complained about the time and some stress situations: I think I will miss it all, the meetings, the people on the Board, the decision-making, also the voice one has regarding what is happening. So, starting in July I will only need to attend the regular weekly breakfast meetings, but I will be a part of Johnny R.'s Club Service Team, where we do Public Relations, the website, the weekly newspaper, organize events and stuff like that. I did ask for as little involvement as possible: I want to help, but I need a little break ("Pause").

It is getting late now, so I will write more tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home